Friday, September 2, 2011

20-somethings, the suburbs, nostalgia, and music.

When I listen to Arcade Fire's title track “The Suburbs,” I'm hit with a feeling that I can unjustly reduce to something along the lines of nostalgia. The nostalgia is hard for me deconstruct, pinpoint where it's coming from, and I don't feel the need to do so: that's what makes the experience meaningful, artful, expansive enough that I can visit it many times over, feeling a similar but different way with each listen.

The Suburbs was inspired by Win and Will Butler's youth in a Houston suburb. In an interview they state the album's lyrics are “neither a love letter to, nor an indictment of, the suburbs – it's a letter from the suburbs. [1]” They are reflecting on times past, when they were free of adult-like responsibilities but confined by their social space. Win recollects that "a lot of [his] heroes from Bob Dylan to Joe Strummer were suburban kids who had to pretend they were train-hoppers their whole lives. Talking about an experience and not make-believe [is what we're doing on The Suburbs]. [2]"

Did I grow up in the suburbs? Yes. Did I feel restless, bored, like nothing ever happened? At times. But, surprisingly, I wasn't particularly angsty about it, and I don't look back at my adolescence wishing it was different or thinking it was wasted. So if growing up in the suburbs as a privileged youth wasn't mind-blowingly awesome but certainly wasn't awful (not even close), then why do I feel nostalgic listening to songs about kids running through their neighborhoods but not away? Why do I feel this way when Bradford Cox sings about being saved by old times? Or when I listen to M83 songs about young French love on Saturdays?

I feel elements of empathy when I listen to bands like Arcade Fire, Deerhunter, M83, etc., but I think their music evokes a broader pathos that I've resigned to calling nostalgia. Their lyrics require careful listening – the vocals and meanings are often obscured – and are emotionally rewarding in different ways. Their sounds like all sounds are derivatives of old sounds. Win made an analogy, stating that The Suburbs is like Depeche Mode meets Neil Young [3]. I've heard several people say that Saturdays = Youth was made for a John Hughes' film. While some bands purposefully reproduce sounds to evoke nostalgia, other bands create nostalgia organically with or without borrowing from the past.

I'm going to say that Arcade Fire, Deerhunter, and M83 are artful bands that create organic nostalgia. There are many other bands that I've left out, and there are many bands that evoke this sentiment in some people but not others. I'm not sure whether it's my particular taste in music, but I feel that this organic nostalgia is a key theme in contemporary indie music that hits a strong chord with this generation of music listeners. To define this generation of music listeners is a long and difficult task. I've found this article to be informative, however:


[1] from Wiki via NME magazine, 31 July 2010, pg. 24
[2] http://www.nme.com/news/arcade-fire/51270

No comments:

Post a Comment